Monday, November 5, 2007

Weekly beer post

This week's review is Full Sail Brewing's seasonal fall entry, called simply Wassail.

I have somewhat more mixed feelings about this entry - for one thing I'm not so into hops, and while this winter ale isn't bitter by any stretch, it's definitely not a sweeter ale. There's a sharp spicy taste from the hops and from the four different malts used in brewing.

Wassail, traditionally, is a hot and spicy punch, cider, or mulled beer served around the Yule season. Without being hot, this ale does a creditable job. It's spicy, and is exactly the sort of thing one would be drinking around a fire after a long day skiing. It isn't a dessert ale or beer at all....more of an accompaniment to dinner or something just to be enjoyed on its own merits.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try wassail, but since I own neither a corset nor a tankard, I'd just look ridiculous.

WG said...

Both of those things are quite easy to fix. Red has a number of corsets that I've purchased for her, and tankards aren't too hard to find.

Now I know what to get you for Christmas. lol

lattégirl said...

Not much of a beer drinker, so the title made my eyes glaze over, but what the hell. It's still a WG joint.