Friday, November 30, 2007

Musical Goodness

I've been a fan of Shel Silverstein since I was a kid. My parents exposed me to The Giving Tree, Where the Sidewalk Ends, Falling Up, and A Light in the Attic when I was first learning to read, since poetry, written without a lot of pretentious big words, is often great to teach children how to read. I've always loved Uncle Shelby.

So it was with amazement that a friend of mine at work told me of Silverstein's musical work. I had no idea, and I feel so sad at having missed out. I spent most of today listening to Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball and laughing myself silly at the irreverent humor of Stacy Brown Got Two.

Now I'm going to have to find everything that man wrote and read it, just out of general omigod-howdidinotknowthis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You aren't the only one! Until this post of yours I had no clue he ever did anything musical. I must seek these works. I loved his works as a child and couldn't wait to share them with my own children. My parents had a huge parental philosophical fight when my mother bought The Giving Tree for my sister and I. My father was adamant that it would be introducing us to liberal ideals, but that argument was no where near as bad as the one they had when he found our copy of Richard Bach's Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

Anonymous said...

Do you have Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book?

Good times :)