Thursday, November 1, 2007

All new appreciation

Metallica is awesome. I've liked them for a long time, although I'm by no means an "original fan" like a lot of metalheads, Red included. No, my exposure to Metallica came with the Black album, like a lot of more mainstream types. I haven't added to my collection of CD's, largely because I'm cheap.

So last week The Bike Owner sent me an mp3 of Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire, and bade me listen to just after the guitar solo. Here's a live version. Listen to the double bass drums that Lars Ulrich has going at around 3:23.....that's going at the same speed the guitars are going.

I started thinking about Lars as a drummer earlier today at work, after I'd kind of switched my brain off and was working on autopilot, when up came Metallica's One, again played live. Here's another video; the sound's not as good, but watch the beginning. All of that is the drummer, aside from the pops of the pyrotechnics.

Just....wow.

No comments: