Monday, October 22, 2007

Playing in traffic

We had a couple of extra little girls here Saturday night (from our 3 to 5, all told - after a certain point, the wisest thing is to hide upstairs and only respond to the sounds of things breaking). This isn't an unusual occurrence, there are after all three girls in this house, and they all have friends. Anyway, one of said friends' family is moving to Eastern Oregon next weekend, so this was kind of a last hurrah in getting together.

So I went to take Small Friend and our youngest with me back up to Portland. Along the way, I did some minor maintenance and whatnot, putting fluids in where they were low. I got as far as just between the interchange with Highway 217, and -=bam=- serious overheating, like smoke coming from under the hood overheating. I got it off to the median side of the road, where conveniently ODOT had coned off the inside lane (plenty of shoulder space too, which is a rarity in Portland in most places).

And there we sat. A couple of friends of mine came and rescued us, but we didn't end up getting outta there until after the tow truck left at around midnight with my car. I'm missing work today so I can go fix my car (I hope) or deal with it in some other way. We'll see.

Anyway, the point of this post was that I spent several hours in a car on the side of the freeway with two little girls, and guess what the main source of humor was?

Yep.

Fart jokes.

I love kids.

Edit (later):
Replacing the water pump. Hopefully that's all it'll need, but as of right now there's no way to know. Waiting....

Edit (later still):
The news is good - water pump replaced, and it's going to need a new radiator and hoses at some point in the near future. Also had to replace a tire, unfortunately, but it was about to go kablooey, and I have had quite enough of that lately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Cuz he farted.

*copious amounts of giggling*