Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Mmmmmmmmm ribs

There is nothing in this universe quite like my wife's recipe for ribs (originally that read "like my wife's ribs", but that reads entirely the wrong way), and I thought I'd share.

Take one large rack of pork or beef ribs. Remove silverskin from the back and wash. Pat dry, and put in a big pan with a dry rub:

Grill seasoning
Allspice
Ground black pepper
Salt
Seasoning salt
---proportions to taste, requires a bit of experimentation.

Rub it in & then allow to sit in the pan while the sauce is prepared in a large sauce pan:

1 bottle of Mr. Yoshida's Gourmet sauce
A couple splashes each of Yamasa soy sauce, worchestershire sauce
About 4-5 pieces of crystallized ginger, chopped fine
A handful of dried apricots, chopped fine
A small handful of dried cherries, chopped fine.
Let simmer until sauce has reduced to a thick consistency, and remove from heat.

Cook ribs over medium heat on the grill for about 30 minutes, and begin basting both sides at about 30 minute intervals. The ribs are done when the meat begins to pull away from the bone & is still soft & juicy; estimated time about 3 1/2 hours to 4 hours.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go make a total pig of myself.

No comments: