Friday, October 19, 2007

The problem with alarm clocks

I was never a morning person as a child, or even during my early 20's. At some point, though, about 9 years ago, I discovered a love of early mornings - getting to work really early always seemed to really make my day go a lot faster/easier, because I could get a lot more done from 6-8 than in the rest of the day.

I'm not sure when that changed, but it may have something to do with the pitter patter of little feet around the place I call home. Becoming an insta-stepdad has changed a lot of other things, so I suppose it's logical enough that that'd change too. (It's amazing - I can sleep through an earthquake, but not the sound of a 5-yr-old's feet on carpeted stairs at 3 am....)

This morning, the alarm went off as it usually does, and I think it must have gotten set to an earlier time. I laid in bed dozing for a few minutes and then at some point realized that I needed to get my sorry carcass out of bed and into the shower or I'd be late for work. It was at that point that I realized the time was a quarter-to-the-hour. I rushed thru my morning routine, skipped shaving and breakfast, and made it to work by 15 minutes after the hour (impressive when you consider I have a 20-minute commute). I came bustling in, convinced I was late to work and would have to take a shorter lunch than usual and barely registering the fact that the parking lot was emptier than usual.

It was when the first of several coworkers looked at me, quizzically asking, "Why are you here so early?" that I realized it was 6:15 AM.

*sigh*

3 comments:

lattégirl said...

Ha! I made a similar mistake just a couple of weeks ago, showing up at work a full hour earlier than scheduled. I asked a colleague: "Will I get paid if I start working now?" She said, "Nope." "Will I get to leave an hour earlier?" "Nope."

I ended up getting fired at the end of that day, anyway (for other reasons).

WG said...

For what, lack of interest? Geez, I'd think you could point to being an hour early as proof of your dedication.

Chelle said...

That's ok! I've done worse. My daughter forgives me, too.

I would wake up, didn't matter the time, in the middle of the night *convinced* I was late and she was late. I'd get myself up and even though the clock said 1:30/3:15 (whatever time) it wouldn't register.

One time I actually had her up and in the bathroom getting ready for school when she realized that I had lost it.

I haven't had an issue (or episode?) in months, which is a good thing. I hate it when it happens, messes up my whole sleep routine!