Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Most awesome suspenseful moment ever

Let me first say I don't really care for the pageant dog-and-pony show that American Idol has become. I don't really enjoy watching the beginning auditions, aside from the odd snarky comment or two from Simon...after all, he does come up with some memorable zingers from time to time. Largely, it bores me to the point of actual cellular decay.

The middle of the show? Eh...some good, some bad, mostly mediocre with an occasional "Wow, you gotta check this out" moment. That's what DVR's are for.

We got in the habit around here a long time ago of recording everything we want to watch and seeing it anywhere from half an hour to days later, skipping the irritating commercials as we go. Again, remember, I'm really not an Idol fan, particularly.

Imagine, then, if you will, my absolute delight and utter enjoyment when the big moment arrived, and Ryan Seacrest went to announce the winner...after sitting through the whole torturous two hours of show preceeding it...and got as far as, "And the winner...of American Idol...2008....is....." -=bink=- recording over.

I laughed so hard I cried. God, I"m still laughing as I type. I had to go online for the girls and find out that David Cook won (he's definitely got the emo vote, my 14 yr old loves him to itsy bitsy squooshy bits), because they were threatening me with bodily harm if I didn't.

Say it with me....LOL.

2 comments:

lattégirl said...

The vote-off shows, including the finale, are indeed tortuous. Five minutes of blabla, followed by what feels like 15 minutes of ads. What I do enjoy, though, is the recap show, with its silly awards, bloopers, and outtakes.

Anonymous said...

We record pretty much everything to watch later, too. It started because we were tired of my son asking us to buy every little thing he saw in the commercials, but then we realized how much more efficient it is.

One night, though, VH and I had recorded "Spanglish". After suffering through that horrible, boring movie (because we didn't have anything else to watch and wouldn't watch live TV), we got to the end and found the recording cut off with 3 minutes left.

I've never bothered watching those final moments. I figure that the huge bomb I imagined dropping on all of the characters, terminating their lives in a bloody and painful demise, was no doubt a better ending to the story than whatever really happened.