Sunday, May 18, 2008

Catastrophe

Hopefully it's not of the Really Really Bad variety, but my laptop got set in the direct sun the other day, and the ambient temperature here was over 100F. I was trying to burn a DVD of photos and my laptop just went -=poof=-. Now it won't come back on.

It's weird getting used to my desktop computer again. Hopefully I can get my laptop back up and running, as it's got my last years' worth of photos on it. Thankfully, most of it's backed up on the backup drive I have, but not everything's there. If I can't get it fixed, I can't replace either the laptop or the content, so hopefully this won't really really suck.

Stay tuned.

Edit: Well, there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news is that the laptop is under full-coverage warranty (having listened to Red and purchased it, boy am I glad I did), and I did a full backup in January.

The bad news is that the hard drive, motherboard, CPU, and probably most of the rest of the innards were completely fried when it blew. The service people are trying to fix it now, but I won't have it back for about two weeks. Also not good is the nothing-since-January lack of backups, which sucks a lot.

I am displeased, but I think I've learned my lesson about not backing up regularly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you will back your claptop back. If it have the warranty then you can change from your supplier. Thanks

lattégirl said...

Could you tell me a little about backup drives? In simple, Back-up 101 terms?

I hesitate to say this out loud. I have never, ever done a backup.

WG said...

Eek!

Backup 101 in 3 easy steps:

1) Buy external hard drive with massive capacity. (Mine's a 500 GB.)

2) Bring home, remove packaging, plug into available USB port when your computer's on.

3) Follow the wizard to select what you want to back up. Usually there's an advanced option to back up periodically - I have my desktop set to back up weekly on Thursday mornings about 1 AM....but it's connected to my desktop, not my laptop. :-S